The Palazzo Doria d’Angri Naples
The Palazzo Doria d’Angri is an historic building and monument in Naples in southern Italy. It was begun by Luigi Vanvitelli on commission of Marcantonio Doria and was finished by the architect’s son Carlo Vanvitelli in the late 18th century. Decorative work was done by many of the same artists who worked on the great Royal Palace in Caserta.
The building plays an important role in the history of Naples and of Italy in that it was from the balcony of this building that Giuseppe Garibaldi proclaimed the annexation of the Kingdom of Two Sicilies (The Kingdom of Naples) to the Kingdom of Italy on September 7, 1860, after his triumphant campaign from Sicily to Naples.
Images: Armando Mancini