On top of a high hill we find the most interesting centre of the Valle di Diano from a historic-urban viewpoint: Teggiano, counted among the 71 Villages of Europe. First we should pay a visit to the churches of San Michele Arcangelo, the Annunciation (originally Roman with Baroque additions), the pre-Renaissance churches of Sant’Agostino and San Pietro. The impressive cathedral of Santa Maria Maggiore houses a beautiful wooden pulpit from the second half of the 13th century, made by Melchiorre da Montalbano. The Norman castle, where the barons’ plot was hatched, is incredibly beautiful. The interesting seminary dates back to 1564.
The library is an important source of historical knowledge. It comprises 5,000 books, including a incunabulum from 1480, over 600 documents and four restored 16th-century manuscripts. To end the list, there are four convents from medieval times: Augustinian, Franciscan, Benedictine and Celestine. We should visit all of them, as well as the Benedictine nunnery and the many chapels built between 1300 and 1350, enriched with remarkable works of art. The historic centre is a real jewel, with its magnificent squares and streets, and residences that span at least six centuries of history from the Middle Ages to the 18th century. The magnificent Sedile Pubblico (public seat) stands at the junction of the two main public roads (Via Roma and Salita Corpo di Cristo).
It was built in 1472 by local artist Jacobello da Babino and destroyed by the earthquake of 1857. Later it was rebuilt in its present form and today it houses the public fountain. The 19th-century San Cono obelisk stands in front of the Franciscan monastery. There are three museums. First there is the Diocesan museum, with works and objects from various periods (from Roman times to the 18th century) found in Teggiano, including a tomb from the school of Tino Caimano, frescoes from the crypt of Santa Venera and a large number of stone artefacts, mainly from Roman and medieval times. Also very interesting is the Museum of Arts and Traditions of the Vallo di Diano.
Located in a wing of the ancient Convento della Pietà (15th century) is a treasure trove of artefacts kept alive in their original function: from the ancient but still functional loom for weaving cloths with a piece being worked on it, to the scutcher for hemp cloth making, the wool winders, spinning wheels, the ox and horse ploughs, oil lamps, and tools for mowing, reaping, threshing, sifting, woodworking and performing all the functions that were required in local rural life.
Finally, the Museum of Herbs with Viridarium (Roman pleasure garden) was opened in June 1999. Located in the old centre, next to the old Convento della Pietà, it is divided in several sections: ethno-botany; natural medicines, herbal and pharmaceutical preparations; ancient seed- and genebank of local species; natural herbarium, classifications nd maps of flora, mycology; and the Viridarium. In memory of the wedding between Antonello Sanseverino, Prince of Salerno and Lord of Diano, and Constance, daughter of Federico da Montefeltro, the great Duke of Urbino, celebrated in the 15th century, Teggiano each year hosts ‘Alla Tavola della Principessa Costanza’ (At the table of Princess Constance), a medieval festival organised in mid-August.