Castelvolturno, called simply Volturnum by the Romans. In ancient times, it was neither renowned nor loved. Not much more than a swamp, it was noted only because the Roman army was garrisoned here during the siege of Capua.
Saracens attacked and destroyed the original settlement founded in 194, but thanks to Ferrante of Aragon, the small community became a domain of Capua in 1461. Ruins near the area of Civita, and the watchtower on the coast are indications of its past, while the marble doorway of the Church of the Annunziata gives the town a Renaissance touch.
Inside the church is a precious 16th- century wooden pulpit covered with gold leaf. However, the River Volturno is the real protagonist of the area. The mouth of the river is close by, but to reach its estuary the Volturno has sliced its way through the entire province of Caserta. It has surged, flowed, and twisted for more than a hundred and eighty kilometres. The Volturno is a fast-flowing, deep, and murky river, which has rarely broken its banks.
On occasion though, the warm desert wind, or scirocco, has blown through the mountains and melted the winter snows, the flow of excess water to the sea has been hindered, and the results have been devastating. In all, this river has witnessed its fair share of history, from the olden days up to the era of Garibaldi and the epic battle of 1860.