The capital Avellino is located in a splendid natural setting, surrounded by the Picentini Mountains. In the centre, with its modern feel, one finds interesting historical buildings; the Cathedral, with the beautiful neoclassical façade has paintings from the 1500’s and a splendid Roman crypt. The bell tower is majestic.
The symbol of the town is the Baroque Torre dell’Orologio (Clock Tower) in the Piazza Amendola, which rises above the rooftops of the town. Other representative monuments are the Fontana di Bellerofonte (XVII century), designed by Cosimo Fanzago, and the remains of the Longobard Castle. The Irpino Museum preserves archaeological material found in the province.
In the various rooms (archaeology, renaissance and modern) we find authentic masterpieces: relics from ancient Abellinum, among which a magnificent mosaic; the interesting reconstruction of the rich tomb of a chief from Mirabella Eclano, buried together with his dog; wooden statues from the Sanctuary of Mefite in the valley of the Ansanto river; ceramics, porcelain, paintings of the Neapolitan school between the XVII and the XIX century, and a marvellous Neapolitan crib from the 1700’s.