Antro della Sibilla
Discovered in 1932, the long straight gallery with a trapezoidal section was interpreted by the first diggers as the place in which the Sibyl, Apollo’s prophetess, admitted her worshippers and prophesied in the name of the god. Excavated in the tuff rock from north to south, the gallery connects the Acropolis with the southern hill. Due to its position, in defense of the Acropolis’ entrance, it has been thought that such construction had been built as a defense system, between the end of the IV and beginning of the II century B.C., when the walls of Cuma’s acropolis were enlarged and strengthened. During the Roman period, the floor was lowered to the current level and the gallery was turned into a cryptoportico connected to the external terrace of the Acropolis. Some brick tombs, located under the central cisterns, the arcosolium and banks in front of the side door are early Christian. During the post-classical period some lateral branches were used as a pit.